Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The no-electricity blues

We are now on our twelfth day without electricity.

Originally, Centerpoint said that 80% of my ZIP Code would have power by Monday the 22nd. Monday has come and gone. Now they're saying Friday. Maybe.

What makes it even more frustrating is that crews were working around our neighborhood early last week when they were bringing the housing complexes adjacent to the University of Houston back online. That resulted in a few houses in my neighborhood getting power, and we thought they would bring the rest of the neighborhood online shortly afterward.

But then the line crews disappeared. They haven't been back since.

Needless to say, this really sucks.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get power soon! I just heard of someone I know from Houston getting power back this week. I am so sorry you haven't gotten your power back yet, but I am glad you have your generator. I'm still thinking about you.

It looks like it might be a tough year for Houston. It reminds me a little bit of Tulane following Katrina. They were completely displaced. Hopefully it won't be as bad for the Cougars.

Todd

M1EK said...

That's what you get for living in beachfront property! Oh, uh, d'oh.

In my home town (Boca Raton), the intermediate lines appear to be undergrounded almost everywhere these days. This meant that my parents got power back pretty quickly each time they got hit the last few years - once the main lines were up (lines from buried utility to house are of course vulnerable as well).

Of course, Texas, being part of the third world, could never make that kind of an infrastructure investment.

Thomas said...

Some never subdivisions in Houston do have underground utilities. Not only is it less prone to disruption, but it's also more aesthetic.

It would be great if older neighborhoods (such as mine) could be retrofitted to put the electricity, cable and telephone lines underground as well (although the presence of an existing gas line in the easement is a complicating factor). But, as you said, we'll never see that kind of infrastructure investment made here.

The good news is that as of this morning line trucks have returned to my neighborhood.