Saturday, June 27, 2020

Status update

I think I've been able to weather the pandemic as well as anyone, and for that I am thankful. I'm still working from home most of the time, although over the past month my employer has begun allowing some of us to go into the office once or twice a week, on a rotating basis so as to limit the number of people in the office at any one time. I've enjoyed being able to do this, because it keeps me from going stir-crazy at home and it also allows me to get a few things done that are difficult for me to do from home (my employer's VPN connection works well for most of the programs I use, but not all of them, and my home computer, having reached the end of its useful life, is very slow).

As of right now, Corinne and I are going ahead with our rescheduled (not officially a) wedding ceremony next month in New Orleans. We've been in contact with our venue about sanitation practices and, quite frankly, we're going to have so few people attending that social distancing is not going to be a problem. We realize there's still a risk involved, but we're also already locked in to contracts with small businesses that need our support now more than ever. Deferring the ceremony until the pandemic passes in 2021 or even 2022 simply isn't an option, so we're going to be as safe as we can, make the best of it, and give ourselves and our guests something to enjoy during this otherwise difficult period.

Since our previously-planned honeymoon in Maui has been nixed, we will honeymoon in the Great Smoky Mountains instead. We will also drive the Blue Ridge Parkway from the Great Smoky Mountains to Shenandoah National Park (reprising a vacation I took almost a decade ago). That should hopefully give us plenty of opportunities for outdoorsy, socially-distanced activities such as hiking and sightseeing. Corinne and I are looking forward to it.

As of right now I am still holding out hope that there will be a college football season this fall, but I won't be surprised if it gets canceled as well. Which will really suck.

Everybody stay safe!

No comments: