Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Cricket

Since I've been here, I've been watching a lot of cricket. The Indian Premier League is getting a lot of coverage here, and the only other sport on TV with any regularity is soccer.

I've watched so much cricket that I think I'm beginning to understand it.

Moreover, I think I'm beginning to like it.

(In fairness, I should probably point out that most of the matches I've been watching are of the "Twenty20" variety - the IPL is a Twenty20 league - and these games are much shorter than traditional, multi-day "Test" cricket matches. The shorter match length (a complete match can be played in about 2.5 - 3 hours, making it similar to other major spectator sports in that regard), along with a few other minor rules changes, makes for a more aggressive style of play than you'd generally find in Test cricket. Truth be told, I'm not sure if I'd find Test cricket to be quite as interesting as the Twenty20 matches I've been watching.)

1 comment:

Unkle Monkee said...

I've never been able to wrap my mind around cricket.