...in Delaware and Maryland, respectively.
Last month, Corinne and I spent a couple of weeks exploring the mid-Atlantic. We spent a few days in Charlotte, then went to Raleigh, Virginia Beach and southern Delaware, before finishing our vacation with several days in Washington, DC.
On our way from Lewes Beach, Delaware to Washington, we passed through Houston (pronounced HOW-ston), a small agricultural town with a population of about 380 people. There wasn't much to see there, other than the volunteer fire station (that I'm standing in front of in the picture above) and a Methodist Church. There was also a small post office.
As a nerdy kid studying the Rand McNally Road Atlas, I once noticed that there was a Houston in Delaware and I always wondered what it was like. Now, many years later, I know!
After we crossed into Maryland, we came upon the town of Denton. It has about 4,850 inhabitants and, like its Texas namesake, is a county seat; we parked in front of Caroline County courthouse in order to walk around. Unlike its north Texas namesake, there are no major universities.
One thing that Denton, Maryland does have that its Texas counterpart lacks is amazingly delicious crab bisque - a benefit of being located near the Chesapeake Bay. If you're ever in Denton, stop at the Market Street Pub and order the Cream O' Crab soup.
After we left Denton, we stopped in Annapolis and explored that historic city for couple of hours before continuing on to DC.
The entire trip was fun and I may post more about it in the future; it was really nice to be able to spend some time in a part of the country that I'm otherwise unfamiliar with. Being able to visit the Delmarva "versions" of two Texas cities I've lived in was just a fun bonus.



No comments:
Post a Comment