Thursday, June 11, 2009

The High Line

For those who haven't heard about it yet, earlier this week the first section of what may very well be America's coolest linear park opened on Manhattan's West Side:



Also check out this slideshow at the New York Times as well as this article in New York Magazine.

I had been following the progress of this project for a long time. I thought it was a great idea when I initially heard about it many years ago, but I was skeptical that it would happen due to all the obstacles it faced. But thanks to the preserverence of the Friends of the High Line organization that spearheaded this project, this unique and wonderful park has become a reality and is providing inspiration for smiliar projects around the nation, such as the Reading Viaduct in Philadelphia.

What a great way to re-utilize an abandoned structure that otherwise would have been torn down. One of these days, I'll have to go to New York City and check it out for myself.

No comments: