Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Well, at least it waited until I got back to Houston

The hard drive on my work laptop crashed yesterday. One minute, I'm happily working away. The next minute, I hear a screechy grinding noise and my computer freezes up. Great!

Luckily, my company's IT folks were able to install a new hard drive, and I'm back in business. I'm also fortunate in that I was fairly good about backing up all my local files onto my company's servers, so I haven't lost anything that was absolutely critical to my work (although, to be sure, I have lost a few files I would have liked to have kept). The worst thing is that it's been a real productivity-killer for me at a time when I have a lot of work to do. Reconfiguring preferences, mapping to servers, connecting to printers and transferring files back to my local drive is a time-consuming pain in the ass.

I kind of wish they would have just given me a completely new laptop. Alas, no such luck.

No comments: